Show hints even if control is disabled

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    HeDiBo
    Participant

As things are now, whether hints are shown and what text they show is inconsistent.

Look at this example project:

[attachment=8972:acBitBtnHints.zip]

The main panel shows a hint.

The TsEdit control shows no hint.

The TsBitBtn control shows the main panel's hint.

The TsSpeedButton control still shows its own hint (even though it's disabled).

The consistency that I would like the most is: always show the control's hint, even if it is disabled ❗.

I say that, because it's the only way to tell the user why the control is disabled!

It would be fine, if this were a setting in the TsAlphaHints controller. It could also be an Option in the TsSkinManager.

I know that officially hints cannot be shown for disabled controls, because mouse events are disabled there. But the form's MouseMove-event could be used in stead. So maybe it needs to be an option in the TsSkinProvider and maybe also in the TsFrameAdapter controls.

HeDiBo
    Participant

Could you have a look at it, please

Support
    Keymaster

I have looked it in the VCL and haven't idea how it may be implemented.

Disabled control doesn't catch any mouse events and WM_NCHITTEST message even.

HeDiBo
    Participant
    'Support' wrote:

I have looked it in the VCL and haven't idea how it may be implemented.

Disabled control doesn't catch any mouse events and WM_NCHITTEST message even.

It's a well known problem.

The solution suggested on the internet is to use the message pump of the containing form to simulate the hint addressed to the disabled control.

HeDiBo
    Participant
    'HeDiBo' wrote:

It's a well known problem.

The solution suggested on the internet is to use the message pump of the containing form to simulate the hint addressed to the disabled control.

The solution could be testing in TsSkinProvider.NewWndProc for the WM_MOUSEHOVER message for the control that is parent to the disabled control. Then if the disabled control has an active hint, show it.

HeDiBo
    Participant

Hi Serge,

Do you have any thoughts about the suggested implementation for hints on disabled controls? 💐

Support
    Keymaster

Hi

I have some ideas, but time is required for implementing this feature.

HeDiBo
    Participant

Could you have another look at it?

sergunalpha
    Keymaster

Sorry, it’s not implemented still.

Stephane Senecal
    Participant

If you need hints on disabled control only in few places, you can place that control on a small panel and set the hint on that panel.

If you need this globally, it will be one hell of a job.

Hope it helps.

Stephane Senecal
    CIS Group
    Delphi programmer since 2001

HeDiBo
    Participant

If you need this globally, it will be one hell of a job.

I think it may be surprisingly easy:

The solution could be testing in TsSkinProvider.NewWndProc for the WM_MOUSEHOVER message for the control that is parent to the disabled control. Then if the disabled control has an active hint, show it.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by HeDiBo.
    HeDiBo
    Participant

Any progress on this?

Support
    Keymaster

I was trying to implement it in the CommonWndProc procedure (sCommonData.pas unit), but some additional problems raised, researching of this issue is paused.

HeDiBo
    Participant

I saw you intercept WM_MOUSEMOVE. But I think you should intercept WM_MOUSEHOVER. I’m not sure about this. Docs say you have to start with TrackMouseEvent and after that catch thew WM_MOUSEHOVER event.

HeDiBo
    Participant

No progress in 15.00?

Support
    Keymaster

Sorry, not ready yet.
    I saw some solutions for this issue in the Net. You saw a solution with an empty label with hint?

HeDiBo
    Participant

I saw that, but that would overcomplicate things.
    Don’t you think catching the WM_MOUSEHOVER message for the control that is parent to the disabled control would be the way to go?

Support
    Keymaster

We can catch events when mouse hovering and leaving a parent control.
    But how it can help ti find out when mouse hovering on a disabled child control?

HeDiBo
    Participant

Check whether the control that is child to the parent is disabled. Then take over its hint handling if the parent itself has no hint handling.

Support
    Keymaster

The WM_MOUSEMOVE message is more handy for that. We should check position of the mouse after each moving.
    WM_MOUSEHOVER can’t do that.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 37 total)
  • The topic ‘Show hints even if control is disabled’ is closed to new replies.