How to determine required button width based on caption?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    OldGrumpy
    Participant

Hi there,

when skins are active, a button is sometimes noticeably larger than “normal”. And depending on the text on the button, I need to resize some buttons. So I need a way to determine how much space the caption requires to size the button accordingly, and I need to know the total size of the button to make the buttons fit nicely. I can retrieve the required space for the caption via DrawTextW API, but how can I get the total dimension of the button?

Support
    Keymaster

AlphaSkins do not changes a sizes of such controls like buttons or edits. Could you show a little demo? )

OldGrumpy
    Participant

QUOTE (Support @ Jul 10 2009, 10:30 AM)
    AlphaSkins do not changes a sizes of such controls like buttons or edits. Could you show a little demo? )

Some skins have thicker borders on buttons and other controls, so that buttons with only small gaps between them look like stuffed together. I'll try to make a demo to illustrate it. Furthermore, some skins (e.g. “Cold”) make the buttons look slightly trapezoidal. Basically, I am looking for a feature that tells me “this button will accept a text of x pixels width without wrap-around”. Or are these values exactly the same as for unskinned buttons? My tests with the “Cold” skin seemed to show that there are slight differences.

Support
    Keymaster

Size of button and position of content are same as in standard mode.
    Maybe some visual illusion exists when skinned borders is drawn.

OldGrumpy
    Participant

Yes, all borders are drawn inside the button rect. That leads me to a slightly changed question: Can I somehow determine the “client rect” of a skinned button? I mean the area that remains free for text. In some skins I have the effect that the button text reaches into the border area and that looks ugly. If I could determine the border width, I could adjust the button size accordingly to make the text fit nicely.

Neon
    Participant

You may tamper with sGraphUtils functions. For example, function CutText has saved me a lot of time when I tried to ellipse caption of TsTabSheet.

Support
    Keymaster

The SkinManager component have four functions :

CODE
        function MaskWidthTop(MaskIndex : integer) : integer;
        function MaskWidthLeft(MaskIndex : integer) : integer;
        function MaskWidthBottom(MaskIndex : integer) : integer;
        function MaskWidthRight(MaskIndex : integer) : integer;

These functions returns a width of top, left, bottom and right borders of controls. MaskIndex may be found in AlphaControl(YourButton).SkinData.BorderIndex
    So, you can use code like this :

CODE
    with sSkinManager1
      do BtnClientRect := Rect(
        MaskWidthLeft(sBtn1.Skindata.BorderIndex),
        MaskWidthTop(sBtn1.Skindata.BorderIndex),
        sBtn1.Width – MaskWidthRight(sBtn1.Skindata.BorderIndex),
        sBtn1.Height – MaskWidthBottom(sBtn1.Skindata.BorderIndex)
      );

I hope this info can help you.
    If problem will not be solved please write me again.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.