concrete

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
  • in reply to: AlphaControls for Lazarus #53935
    concrete
    Participant
    'mol' wrote:

Dick, I never claimed that AC is the one which is responsible, but since I've seen what a mess Win 10 is at the moment and knowing Microsoft, I'm sure that Serge will have to work around certain “features” (like the flawed animation thing) and bugs of Windows for many months to come. My point simply was that AC will never be a finished product as long as the operating system is evolving, and Serge will therefore be fully occupied with the Windows version of AC in the future.

-Uwe

If there's a problem – a known problem – with Windows 10, why should Serge have to waste his time fixing something that really needs to be fixed by Microsoft?

I've developed plenty of software over the years, and in the rare case when I came across a situation where something in my program was not behaving as it should, and the fault was with Windows, I simply told the customer “this problem is with Windows, and you'll have to wait for them to issue a fix”. Especially when the “workaround” for me would take up a considerable amount of my time. Any sane person would understand that.

Let's say he spends two weeks of his time working around Microsoft's bugs…and then next month Microsoft fixes the problem. So now what? Should he spend another two weeks undoing the fix? Because there's no guarantee that when Microsoft fixes their code, that Serge's workaround will still work.

People who jump on the new operating system bandwagon should know – and expect – that they will run into a whole slew of problems. And if they choose to be early adopters, that's their problem. Why should Serge have to work around Microsoft's bugs just for a small number of people who haven't learned a valuable lesson that you NEVER move to a new operating system until at least 6-12 months after release so that all the bugs and incompatibilities can be addressed?

in reply to: AlphaControls for Lazarus #53922
    concrete
    Participant
    'mol' wrote:

Dick

As I said before: in my opinion it's simply a waste of precious resources that should better be invested in the ongoing development of the Delphi/Windows version. There are most likely so many hidden roadblocks that at some point in time, the project will simply be abandoned. Remember Kylix?

-Uwe

AlphaSkins is an old and mature product. It's very usable and stable. It does NOT require continuous 24-hours-per-day development, and it definitely wouldn't hurt the product if a portion of development time was devoted to making an FPC-compatible port.

I agree with others that a version for Free Pascal is very much needed.

I'm not a paying customer (yet), but if there was a version that would compile for Delphi AND Linux, I would definitely pay for it immediately.

By the way, for those who are familiar with Lazarus, I would strongly encourage you to try CodeTyphon. I discovered it about 3-4 months ago when I was suddenly required to develop a program for Linux on an ARM7 processor. I hated Lazarus…but I love CodeTyphon. It's basically Lazarus on steroids. Download a copy from the developer's web site (pilotlogic.com)

And I'm also willing to do beta testing with AlphaSkins on CodeTyphon to help get a cross-platform version developed faster.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)